Buggy Time

I have been part of the blogging world and not ready to give it up. Thus I will continue here or be striked on until I continue.

Monday, September 17, 2007

I was aGrease Monkey all Weekend

About two weeks ago my son’s car was ticking when he got home. He asked me why and I went out and looked. The first think I did was check the oil and found it was way over full and was like gooey chocolate. Well I think I found out why you had a low coolant light come on also. The antifreeze is leaking into the oil.

So I personally think that is a head gasket in the engine. We take it to a garage and have them look at it. They tell us that after running a pressure test it is the Intake gasket and the ticking lifter is bad and will need to change them. It will be around $850 for the gasket fix and another $350 for the lifters to be replaced for a grand total of near $1200 to be put into a car we paid $3500 for. NOW WHAT?

Well we went and got the car home a week ago to decide what to do. Trade it and use the $1200 to upgrade to a different car? Sell it and let the people know about the problem? Or take it back to the same garage or a different garage if we can find a better price?

During this time my wife and I are again making sure he has a ride or having to drive him places. On nice days when I can drive my buggy he is taking my truck. Now there is a problem. I am a bit weird here as it is no special truck but it is MY truck and I don’t really like people driving my truck. My wife can take it but as a whole she stays to her van and I keep my truck. SO I have motivation to get the car fixed to lessen the getting him around on my wife and to keep him from driving my truck too much. He is a 16 year old boy who seems to talk about speed all the time.

I ordered a gasket kit on Friday. Then on Saturday while he was at band practice I pulled his car in my garage and torn the engine all the way down to the heads. I found a split in the intake gasket between the oil and coolant side and believe that is where the problem was. I then called my brother in law who is a mechanic and begged for his help to put this engine back together correctly. He came down and all day Sunday he and I put the engine back. When we got it completed it started and the boy is driving it today. I think we fixed it in by spending a long weekend of playing grease monkey and around $250 in the end with parts.

I am happy with the turn out. The son thinks the car is faster now; although, all we did was replace a gasket, and change the spark plugs and cables. He is happy with his car back cheaper, wife is happy to not have to run him to school, and I am happy he is not in my truck. That makes for a successful weekend.

2 Comments:

Blogger The_Gator said...

hahaha hey we got a vehicle that ticks too. Although its more like a knock and when you step on the gas...it knocks faster.

Yea i dont blame you for feeling weird about letting him borrow your car. Still young and invincible.

9:09 AM  
Blogger We sing we dance we steal things said...

You should feel like a total man hunk! Anyone can take an engine apart but it's a different story when it comes to having the patience to putting it back together. Whether you had help or not. Big super plus is that it runs! Kudo's to you and the BIL.

2:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home