Buggy Time

I have been part of the blogging world and not ready to give it up. Thus I will continue here or be striked on until I continue.

Thursday, January 17, 2008

Another Day of Problems

A friend was circling my desk this afternoon when I came walking back. She pulled asked if I had a moment to which I said of course. I immediately picked up on she was upset and needing to off load some troubles. As I saw the tears coming I pulled her into the conference room where she cried for a bit. I gave her a hug and listened to the problem. Of course wouldn’t you know that as soon as that happened people were looking for me? Each of them saw I was helping a friend though and I have to say I work with a bunch of truly awesome people. They backed out when they saw I was helping a friend. I have a couple resources I told her I would check into that could help with her problem. So I still have to contact them tonight for her.

I got a call on my truck this afternoon from the mechanic. He did get it to start and it is a couple of rod bearings gone out. In other words I need a new engine. He quoted me around $5000 to repair it. I also know the transmission is going out and I been babying it for a couple years. That would be another $2500. So here is the question do I spend $7500 on a truck that has a trade in value of $7500?

I am going to have to figure out another way to fix it. Which means doing what I always seem to have to do? Same thing I did with my son’s car haul it home put it in my garage and begin figuring out how to fix it myself. I have worked and changed engines in the past on cars and built my dune buggy so I can do this too. Just not the way I like spending my time. I have found a rebuilt short block online already for $1500. Talked with my mom some and she will let my dad know I might be hauling my truck to his garage since he has engine lifts and room to do the work. Seems I always have to do stuff myself to save money but on the other hand that is why I know how to do so many things. I dig in and learn.

I also found out tonight that my like Gator I have a loss in my family today. I have a Great Uncle that passed away today. I Uncle Max died today at the age of 83 to Cancer. We have been expecting him to go with a bad heart but the cancer got him instead.

SO another day of Stress over what will tomorrow bring?

3 Comments:

Blogger The_Gator said...

Sorry to hear about both of your losses.

My moms Minivan a few years ago blew a rod...the van is still sitting in the front yard because of the same dillema you are facing.

I will post soon about another death.

11:45 PM  
Blogger reneegrrrrrrrr said...

TGIF ;)

Sorry for your loss.

Waiting for pictures in tights ;)

8:32 PM  
Blogger We sing we dance we steal things said...

Like I said before, at least you CAN fix your own cars. Most people now days have no clue and it doesn't help that they've done away with auto shop in most schools. At least they (government / schools) used to teach people to help themselves. When I was young every guy I knew understood how to rebuild a carburetor, install brake pads and change out a radiator. My daughters guy friends are clue less - everything has to go to the shop. Schools usually offer paid courses taught by individuals during the summer months. The costs per student is somewhere between 18 and 60 dollars per course depending on what the class is. There are many classes offered, basket weaving, belly dancing, self defense, cooking and so on.
Have you ever thought about teaching one of these classes? Basic auto shop? I don't see this offered very often and it sure would help a lot of people in these tough times.

1:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home