Buggy Time

I have been part of the blogging world and not ready to give it up. Thus I will continue here or be striked on until I continue.

Monday, May 14, 2007

The Pain Continues


Continue the pain. Monday I woke up and headed to work. I soon found out I was still a hurting unit. I could barely navigate stair taking them 1 hobbling step at a time since it felt like I didn’t have enough strength in my legs to push myself up each 7 inch step. Going down was like letting a muscle loose and felt like I was going to fall with each step.
The great people I work with all tried to help in any way they could. There is a refrigerator on the second floor of our office with drinks. One guy that works in my area made a couple trips up the stairs to get me drinks when I needed in an effort to keep me from using the stairs. I found though that I needed to move even with the soreness. If I sat at my desk to long muscles would tighten and then I could hardly move when I stood up so I tried to get up and do something every 20 minutes if not just a short walk.
Tuesday was much better. I was sore but able to move around with a lot more ease. I think I am going to live. Wednesday now came and I felt like I had a body back. I know now you need some time to heal after putting your body through that much. In the mean time I received a lot of emails from running friends congratulating me on completing a marathon and telling me that I should be very happy with the completion and the time meant nothing. The BIG picture is doing it.
Friday came and I decided to try and do a small run. My friend came to my house at noon to accompany me on my first run after. She told me wait a week, wait 2 weeks doesn’t matter the first runs will be sore and tiring. We did 3.5 miles that day and it was okay but labored. The best part is she gave me a card telling how proud she was that I did the run with a small sticker in the card that simply was a circle with 26.2 on it. I put it on my truck in the rear window to display I am now part of the 26.2 club.
I went and got a small 5.5 mile run with the club on Saturday morning, did 4.2 miles on Sunday morning and did 5 miles this morning. I thought that each day this would get a bit easier and that I should be doing these distances with no problem. I seem to be missing something here though. It feels like I have never run before and that I am struggling to even complete these short distances. What is wrong?
Am I still working out lactic acid from the marathon? I have run these distances a bit faster in time but still not at the speeds I was running them. I am at a loss at the moment to why this is so hard. I feel like I have started over with my running. The only part that has been good is with the warm sun shining on my runs I have been able to pull my shirt off and start working on a tan for the time I am out running. There got to look for a bright side of things.

1 Comments:

Blogger ridiculous said...

CONGRATS on your marathon! listen to the people that are telling you that just finishing is a huge accomplishment. time means nothing. you were able to run/walk/hobble for 26.2 miles. that is an amazing achievement.

re: running difficulties since then. you need to give your body more rest. i would suggest a break from any running for the rest of this week. if you're anxious for something to do, try swimming or a relaxed walk. your body needs time to recover, especially in light of the cramping and spasms you experienced on race day.

again, congrats, and i am sure you will do another race in the future.

1:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home